Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Experience at the Athens County Dog Shelter


I took an hour out of my day to learn about the Athens County dog shelter and I wanted to share my experience. Unfortunately, the dog warden wouldn't let me take any photos, but I saw dozens of absolutely beautiful dogs and it made my heart break.

Most of the histories of the dogs there are unknown, but many show signs of abuse. One young Jack Russell Terrier mix named Sweetie (pictured above from the shelter's Web site) especially caught my eye--she was very affectionate but every time I reached down to pet her, she would cower and put her tail between her legs. One volunteer told me this was a sign that she may have been hit frequently at some point before she arrived at the shelter.

But Sweetie is just one of 24 dogs and one puppy currently housed at the shelter who's waiting to be adopted. As I walked by cage after cage, I couldn't imagine why these dogs couldn't find a home. Obviously not everyone wants a dog or their landlord doesn't allow pets, but these are absolutely wonderful dogs and for a bargain. Dogs at the shelter cost only $65; puppies at Petland other pet stores can cost hundreds of dollars. Even more alarming is that many pet stores are linked to puppy mills.

Also, Athens County (and really everywhere else in the United States) has a problem with too many dogs and not enough owners. I wrote about this in my first blog post, but it needs to be stated again. Rather than buy from a pet store, choose a dog that actually needs a home.

Not only are owners saving the dog they choose to take home, but they're also opening that spot for another dog. The Athens County shelter can hold about 45 dogs, but space is cramped and there are not enough foster homes for the dogs to temporarily stay.

As I left the dog shelter with woofing dogs and whining puppies, I saw a family coming in to adopt a dog. The young boy there had a huge smile on his face and although I was still feeling melancholy, I realized there is some hope. For every dog that is dropped off at the shelter, one will soon be adopted.

1 comment: