Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Furry Scurry 5K Walk


My previous blog post was a slide show of photos about the Furry Scurry 5K Walk to benefit the Humane Society of Greater Dayton held May 9.

Although I didn't walk, I stopped at one of the watering stations to take photos of the dogs and look for my mom and dog, Cooper, who managed to get through the whole walk without stopping!

The Furry Scurry is an annual event held all over Dayton and attracts hundreds of people and dogs. Dogs of all shapes, sizes and breeds turned up from Irish Wolfhounds to Chihuahuas. Some other animals turned up to support the Humane Society including a cat in a stroller, a goat on a leash and even a Macaw!

But not every doggy was cut out for 3.1 miles; some decided to plop down in the grass and wait for volunteers to drive them and their owner to the finish line.

Volunteers were also on hand to be dog holders, so if any owner needed to stop and use the bathroom, someone was around to take care of their dog while the owner uses the bathroom.

However, not all dogs participating in the walk had owners. Dogs from both the Humane Society and SICSA, a dog and cat shelter, were in the walk wearing "adopt me" vests. Hopefully some of these dogs were adopted.

I saw a lot of really different dogs and an incredible amount of support from dog owners and sponsors for the Humane Society. I definitely want to participate next year and recommend anyone else in the Dayton area coming out as well!

Note: My camera batteries died before I could get more photos but check out this slideshow from the Dayton Daily News.

1 comment: